The Woodford Hotel was located in the 500 block of Oak Street in downtown
Minonk. Travelers from the trains on the Illinois Central and
Santa Fe railroads would stay overnight in addition to motoring guests. It was
a favorite dining spot for Sunday noon meals by the locals.
Percy and Lora Landgraver ran the hotel from 1918 till 1924 when they leased it
to Robert Armstrong of Chicago. Dr. J. L. Hubbard of Minonk operated the hotel
from 1930 to 1934 when Mrs. Landgraver, who had returned to Minonk in 1933, again
took up the management.
The iron dog on the front porch was a
favorite with the kids.
The hotel was demolished
in the early 1970's and was replaced with a new building for the VFW.
In 2001 the VFW sold their building that occupied the site of the old hotel. Mary Kearfott
of Minonk is now running a restaurant in the building under the name "The Woodford".
This is an early photo of the Woodford Hotel with the entrance to the front and what is believed
to be the iron dog guarding the right front of the steps.