This recipe is submitted by Barbara (Bushness) Hutchison who found the recipe in
a 1945 edition of the Minonk News Dispatch.
Little Brown Bear Sandwich Loaf
What you need:
1 loaf sandwich bread (day-old, unsliced)
¾ cup egg salad
¾ cup peanut butter
Mayonnaise and peach preserves
2 medium size tomatoes
6 oz. cream cheese (skinned, sliced)
How to prepare it:
1) Remove all crusts from bread and cut lengthwise into 4 slices.
2) Spread 3 slices with mayonnaise and fillings; put together and top with fourth slice.
3) Fillings: sliced tomatoes spread with mayonnaise for bottom layer; egg salad for second slice; and peanut butter and peach preserves for the third.
4) Wrap loaf securely in a damp towel and chill in the refrigerator.
5) Soften cream cheese with milk; whip until fluffy and of right consistency to spread; frost loaf.
6) Using cookie cutter, decorate with bears or other animals cut from whole wheat bread. Press firmly into cheese on sides or stand upright on top of loaf with toothpicks. Serves 12-15.