The old Minonk Post Office was located at 124 West Fifth Street until 1957 when
it moved to its new building a block west on Fifth Street. The site later was occupied
by the dentist office of Dr. Niak. The building was destroyed during the great Minonk fire of 2011.
The old Post Office building was a real fire trap. There was only one entrance to the
building in the front. The windows in the rear were protected with iron bars that prevented
entry as well as exiting.
The building to the left of the old Post Office
in this picture was occupied by a shoe repair business run by Bill Terry. Mr. Terry was
crippled and worked out of his wheelchair. He also ran a creamery in the building many