|Home | Alumni | Editorial | Events | Schools | News | Email | Photos | Maps ||
|Orgins| Early Settlers| Coal mine| Ethnic Groups| Tragedies| Businesses| Buildings| People| Old Photos| Stories| Sports| Schools|
Eugene M. Hodgson
1872-1958The information and pictures for this article were provided by Mr. Hodgson's great-granddaughter Deborah Huffman.
Eugene (Doc) Hodgson was one of Minonk's most prominent businessmen for over 40 years. He ran a pharmacy in Minonk from 1900 until his retirement in 1940. The pharmacy was located in the building that is now occupied by the Minonk Bowling Lanes tavern at 426 Chestnut Street. He was active in community affairs and politics and resided at 528 Locust Street in Minonk from when he was married in 1902 until his death in 1958. Everyone in Minonk affectionately referred to him as "Doc" Hodgson.
Mr. Hodgson was born on May 16, 1872 on a farm near El Paso, a son of Edwin and Sarah Worley Hodgson and moved to El Paso with his parents when he was ten years old. His father Edwin was born in 1842 and his mother Sarah Worley was born in 1847 in Elmwood, IL. Edwin was a well known horse breeder and importer in the 1870's-90's in El Paso. The first family members to come to Illinois via North Carolina and Ohio were Eugene's grandfather William Hodgson and great-grandfather Amos Hodgson, who were early settlers of Tazewell County in the 1830's. The family was of English descent and were members of the Society of Friends (Quakers). The grandfather William was the last active member of the Quaker church.
Mr. Hodgson had 3 brothers; William, Lester, and Charles. He had 4 sisters, all of whom died in infancy.
Mr. Hodgson's family moved to El Paso in 1881 where he attended El Paso schools and then went on to Eureka College to take a commercial course. He graduated from the Chicago School of Pharmacy in 1895 and worked as a pharmacist in El Paso until 1900 when he bought the C. L. Zinser store in Minonk. He sold the store in 1940 to C. D. Wolfe.
Mr. Hodgson married Adelaide McKinney on June 18, 1902. She died on April 18, 1947 of "heart trouble".
They were the parents of 4 children who are all deceased; Adelaide Abbott Hodgson, b. 1903; Edwin William Hodgson, b. 1905; Anne McKinney Hodgson, b. 1907; Eugene Morton Hodgson,Jr., b. 1910.
Mr. Hodgson had served as city treasurer and had served on the Minonk school board. In addition, he was a trustee of the Presbyterian Church and a life long Republican.
"Doc" was known as a horseman who enjoyed riding and kept a saddle horse most of his life. His favorite horse was called "Grey Eagle". In his later years he became hard of hearing and wore a hearing aid and was also troubled with arthritis, but was otherwise fairly healthy. He traveled extensively and made several trips to the Isle of Pines, south of Cuba, where he owned an orange and grapefruit plantation.
He died in the house at 528 Locust Street where he had lived all of his adult life. The house is still occupied. Eugene Hodgson and his wife Adelaide are both buried in Lakeside Cemetery, Pekin, IL in the Hodgson family plot.
Eugene M. Hodgson
Hodgson familyFrom Left: Edwin, Eugene Jr., Mrs. Adelaide Hodgson, Adelaide, and Anne. The photo was taken June, 1914.
On horsebackA photo dated Apr. 22, 1935. E.M. Hodgson is on the left, riding his horse "Grey Eagle". The other riders are not known--maybe someone will recognize them!