This photo shows the fire that destroyed the grain elevator along the Santa Fe tracks
near the Lincoln Street crossing. The fire was started by lightning August 27, 1947. The
structure had corrugated iron siding which prevented the fire from spreading outside.
The original elevator was built in 1873 by Samuel Wylie. In 1913 the old elevator was torn down
and replaced by this one. The elevator changed hands many times and was last owned by Mrs. Dean
McCully of Minonk daughter of R. B. Stoddard the prior owner. Mr. Stoddard had used the building