Church/Annex FAQs Fieldcrest CUSD6
September 18, 2019
1. Potential cost to abate and renovate?
The conceptual cost estimate for abatement and renovation ranges from $1,576,000 to $1,938,000.
2. Abatement cost for demolition vs. renovation?
According to information provided by IDEAL Engineering, the abatement cost for demolition is $125,000-$150,000. The abatement cost for renovation is $250,000-$275,000.
3. Is the new church interested?
The new church is not interested due to the extensive work most likely required.
4. What will this space be used for after demolishment?
This space will be considered for all possibilities as the board of education reviews Health Life Safety requirements deemed necessary by the state in the coming months.
5. Is the city interested?
The city is not interested.
6. Is the building structurally sound?
Please see the accompanying statement
from the structural engineer. The statement includes:
The building showcases several issues with water infiltration, settlement, and general decay that would require immediate attention if the building were to be reoccupied.
The exterior and interior of the structure show various signs of settlement and wind damage.
There are cracks in the exterior multi-wythe brick walls, bowed walls/chimney, and vertical offsets at certain locations.
8. Has there been any other interest since the August 28th board meeting?
As of today, September 18th there has been no formal or written notice of further interest in the building and property.
9. If the abatement and demolition is approved by the board of education, can community members request access to the building in order to remove items?
Due to the health concerns upon entering the building, a written legal agreement removing liability from the school district must be completed. The interested community member would also be held to the contractor's timeline and availability, as well as the use of personal protective equipment.